How To Care For Different Types Of Furniture At Home
Furniture is a staple in every household. Without it, we won’t have anywhere to sleep, eat or store our belongings in our homes. The furniture you have in your home can also reflect your identity as they all come in different shapes, sizes and styles. They’re also made in a variety of different materials that you can choose from. Some prefer solid wood furniture, while others prefer metallic furniture.
Regardless of what material your furniture is made of, if you don’t provide care and maintenance for your furniture, its beauty and practicality will not last for long. Here are some quick tips to help you take care of different furniture materials.
Solid wood furniture
When it comes to furniture like beds, dining tables, bedside tables and wardrobes, you can’t go wrong with solid wood. Wood is versatile, robust and beautiful. It’s a highly durable material that adds warmth and character to your space.
You don’t have to spend too much time maintaining it, which is another reason why so many people favour it. Nevertheless, maintaining wooden furniture is vital for its durability, strength and looks in the long run.
Here’s what you can do to ensure your wooden furniture maintains its pristine condition include:
- Avoid spills and dampness, as they can leave long-lasting stains. If there is an accidental spill, dry it immediately.
- Avoid placing hot items on wooden coffee tables and other similar surfaces. Instead, use coasters and tablemats.
- Wax and polish wooden surfaces regularly to keep their shine.
- Avoid constant sunlight exposure to prevent bright and dark spots from forming on the wood.
Metal closely follows wood in its popularity as a furniture material. Some of the most popular metal furniture are 3-seater sofas, glass-topped coffee tables, and bookshelves.
The most popular metal used in furniture making is iron. It’s widely available, robust, and easy to work. However, iron, like wood, doesn’t go well with moisture. It can rust, and lose its beauty, strength and form.
If you have metal furniture, make sure it is properly painted or rust-treated. Here’s how you take care of metal furniture:
- Avoid moisture and if there’s an accidental spill, dry it immediately.
- Immediately file down any scratches or chips by sanding the area with some steel wool. Then, apply an anti-rust primer and paint.
- Keep the surfaces clean and avoid placing sharp objects on them.
- If the furniture has joints, make sure they are properly oiled.
Stone and earthen pieces
Before using wood, our ancestors used stone and earthen materials to build furniture. Today, earthenware is often restricted to accessories, and stone furniture isn’t popular. However, one type of stone remains prominent throughout the years due to its strength, durability, and beauty – marble.
Marble furniture, like marble-topped side tables or coffee tables, can give your home an elegant look. But you have to take care of it to keep it that way. To maintain the classy looks on your marble pieces, here’s what you can do:
- Wipe surfaces regularly with a non-abrasive cloth and mild soap.
- Avoid sharp objects that could scratch the surface.
- Remove stains to prevent permanent damage to the stone.
- If you are using artificial marble, keep it away from flames.
As compared to other materials, leather is one that’s more durable and requires a low amount of maintenance. Taking care of your 3-seater leather sofa is relatively easy. But to maintain its dominant look, you must take care of it. Here’s how to do it:
- Wipe it frequently with a soft microfibre cloth.
- Vacuum the folds and hard to reach corners.
- Dry any accidental spills immediately.
- Use specialised leather surface cleaners. Avoid using multi-purpose cleaners or DIY mixtures.
- Every few months, have a professional come over to clean your leather upholstery.
With proper care and maintenance, your furniture can last you a lifetime. Be sure to check out Finn Avenue’s furniture sale for high quality décor and accessories. We offer a diverse selection of luxury furniture in various materials to suit all your décor needs – from your bedroom to your dining room. Browse through our online catalogue or head down to our showroom to choose furniture that can stay with you for years!
- Finn Avenue Home