A Fundamental Guide To Help You Furnish & Decorate Your Home
Buying a new home is undoubtedly a momentous affair. However, like with many new homeowners, moving into their newly bought place and decorating it can often be a stressful event. With many ideas in mind, many do not know where to start.
How do you optimize the space while being able to showcase your personal style? When you are able to reach that balance in furnishing and decorating your home, you will end up with a happy, comfortable home. Do it wrongly, and you might end up with a clashing mix of fabrics, paint colors, and furniture that does blend seamlessly.
Fortunately, with a bit of research, planning, and this simple professional interior design guide, you will achieve much success with furnishing and decorating your new home.
Home Decoration & Furnishing: Laying The Foundations
- Don’t begin in the furniture store: Shopping without any prior planning brings you down the rabbit hole to inadequate furnishing and decoration. Without taking into consideration the proper measurements, you might end up making the wrong choices.
- Know the space’s measurements: Matching the size of furniture to the size of the space is vital. A large sofa can make a small living room even smaller. Before you even start to plan for furniture, measuring the length, width, and height of the space and any structural elements will give you a better idea of the amount of space you are working with.
- Decide your living style: There are no right or wrong answers to this. However, knowing your living style helps you to choose the right furniture and decoration that will complement it. Do you want your home to reflect a more modern or traditional, relaxed or formal, and visually cool or warm style? For example, a bachelor homeowner should have a different living style from a family homeowner.
- Make a statement: The entryway is the first place you and your guests step into when entering your home. Hence, it is able to say a lot about your design taste and personality. Hence, a wall finish that might seem bold for a bedroom might be perfect for an entryway.
- Plan your decoration around your daily routine: With the right decorating accessories and pieces, you can make your daily departure and arrival routine easy. Because a typical entryway might not be spacious, getting a cabinet to store your keys or shoes would be great. You might also want to get a stool or bench to be able to sit while wearing your shoes. Including a sizeable mirror allows you to get one final check on your look before leaving the house.
Living and dining room ideas
- Plan a color palette: Often, the patterns and color finishes that you see online differ from the actual products. Hence, it is crucial that you get samples of the materials and color finishes that you intend to use in your living and dining room. Do not look at the samples separately, but put them side by side to see if they complement one another.
- Select the furniture: From your floor plan and moodboard inspirations, choose specific furniture pieces, such as chairs, tables, and sofas, that work well with the space. Whether you are going for a formal or casual style, a general rule of thumb you should note is that the number of dining chairs should match the number of sitting spaces in your living room. This means that if you have 12 sitting spaces in the living room, you should also have 12 sitting spaces at the dining table for entertaining your guests before and after meals.
- Incorporate rugs: Adding a modern rug helps to add visuals and comfort to the living space. You can use three strategies to incorporate rugs in your living space, such as filling the entire living room with a rug, putting a sizeable rug under seating areas, or layering smaller rugs on larger ones to create visual depth and interest.
- Go for a soft look: Your bedroom is a sanctuary that should be inviting and calm. Hence, try to avoid using decorating pieces or colors that are on the bolder side of the spectrum. Playing with “soft” accessories, such as rugs, can help to accentuate the soft look of the room.
- Finish with accessories and art pieces: Art pieces and accessories are some of the best elements to help finish a room. Elements such as home fragrances, décor flowers and sculptures, as well as wall paintings, can add a touch of flair to your bedroom.
Bathroom and kitchen ideas
- Focus on things you touch: Most homeowners would overlook elements, such as cabinet pulls, bathroom and kitchen faucets, as well as handles. However, these are home elements that you come into contact with often. Replacing them can instantly change the overall look of the space. Not only that, but they also feel nice too.
Decorating your newly bought home should not be a stressful event; rather, it should be an avenue for you to have fun and fill the space with everything you love, want, and need. By starting off this journey with the right plan and following some of the steps that are used by professionals in the industry, you will definitely make the experience less complicated and stressful. At the end of the day, you will achieve the ultimate reward: A home truly yours.
Once you have everything you need and want planned out, and you are looking for a furniture shop to source your furnishing and decorating needs, then look no further than Finn Avenue. From console tables to vanity table sets, we have everything you need and more.
Head over to https://www.finnavenue.com/ to shop our looks today!
- Finn Avenue Home