3 Factors To Consider When Picking The Perfect Dining Table
No dining room can ever be complete without a dining table. As the main piece of the room, your pick could make or break the overall design. The appearance, size, design and finishing of the table matter greatly as the dining area is where you hold intimate family meetings and host dinner receptions for guests.
While we do emphasise on the importance of its design, we mustn’t forget its practicality. Given that limited floor space is a relatively common plight for Singaporeans, choosing your table’s ideal shape and size is most crucial.
To aid you in choosing the perfect balance between form and function, read on to learn the factors to consider when picking the perfect dining table.
1. Choose the size appropriate to your dining area
A common mistake made by homeowners is buying a dining table that is either smaller or larger than the size of their dining area.
If your dining room can fit as much as 12 persons, keep in mind the number of people in your household when making a decision. Even if there’s still extra space, you can creatively fill the area with statement pieces.
On the other hand, if you have a small dining area, a large dining table could overcrowd the space and make the room feel squeezy with poor flow. You should leave at least one metre behind each chair to allow some room for movement, so your guests can move around with ease.
2. Rectangular or round tables? Which to choose?
You decide between a rectangular and round table for its aesthetic and design, but there are a couple of other things to keep in mind. Consider the size and shape of your dining room and the number of people that are usually seated around your dining table.
The idea is to create a flow that makes your space look and function better. Here are the pros and cons of each table, so you can make a more informed decision.
- Go perfectly with any dining room that shares the same shape.
- Fits the general area well and is symmetrical with the entire space.
- Its broader and longer size accommodates more people and dishes alike.
- The space it provides for each seated individual gives them a sense of freedom thanks to the distance between them and the next person.
- Liable to take up a lot of floor space.
- Not ideal for social, intimate gatherings due to the distance.
- Greater flexibility to be placed in any room, be it rectangular, square, or otherwise.
- Offers unrivalled beauty depending on the style of the base (shape of the legs, materials used, etc.)
- Excellent for social interaction with other persons.
- Makes dishes accessible to all parties gathered and significantly reduces interruption.
- Less space to keep dishes and other dining equipment
- Can only host a handful of people at a time
3. Material of choice
Last but not least, think about the material your table will be made of. Although wood is one of the most popular, thanks to its wide range of colours and inherent strength and durability, exploring other materials shouldn’t be dismissed.
One of these materials is metal. Aside from sharing the same strengths with wood and even surpassing it, metal offers a much greater variety when it comes to design, thanks to the flexible manufacturing process born from advances in the field of metallurgy.
Marble is another popular option. Marble dining tables offer timeless beauty and elegance as well as the greatest lifespan out of the two, if cared for meticulously. It’s also a great way to elevate the style of your dining area.
Regardless, whichever you choose, take into account the pros and cons of each material and the other furniture pieces that it will share the room with. Think about the overall look of your space once everything is in place.
Picking the perfect dining table for your home can be a difficult task. But thanks to the info we just covered, you’ve hopefully gained some insight as to the factors that will ultimately lead you to your ideal piece.
If you’re currently on the market for a dining table, come and check our offerings here at Finn Avenue! Our online furniture shop in Singapore possesses a grand selection of dining tables of all shapes and sizes where you’re sure to find the perfect piece that fits your personality, style, and purpose. You can also explore other furniture pieces like coffee tables, armchairs and side tables to furnish the rest of your space beautifully.
- Tags: dining room
- Finn Avenue Home